St. Hedwig

St. Hedwig Church is air conditioned and handicapped accessible. The ramp can be accessed from the left (north) door of the three main entrance doors on Humboldt Ave. Parking is available during the evening and weekends. The parking lot entrance is on Brady Street between the church and Tamarack School building. During school days the parking lot is reserved for Tamarack School.

Brief History:
St Hedwig Church at 1702 N Humboldt Ave is an 1887 structure of Gothic and Romanesque styles. It replaced a much more modest wooden structure originally built on Franklin Place where Mass was first celebrated on October 17, 1871. It was erected for and by the Polish inhabitants of the city. An elementary school, grades 1-8, was part of this parish also. It flourished under the loving care of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. The present edifice stands in a recently revived community of homes and small businesses known as the Brady Street neighborhood.